Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Slow Down




I've been feeling the passage of time lately. I feel the days and weeks flying past us. I know that I've spent most of March wishing my days away so that warm weather would return. But what have I lost by wishing those moments away?

I need the days and weeks to slow down. I want to savor this time in our lives. This moment and this adventure are worth taking a few deep breaths and enjoying.

I'm so used to having a crisis that sometimes I tend to create them when from nothing. I'll find something to ponder and fret over when I should be sitting back, catching my breath and enjoying what I have.

We do, really, have a few decisions to make. We've made our decision to stay in Indiana and we've decided to stay in this house. We're just too old to keep moving all the time. And except for the fact that it isn't West Virginia, we really love Indiana. We aren't so keen on the city but everything beyond Indianapolis is fabulous. There are farms, fish fries, harvest festivals, covered bridges, corn, prairies, forests, tress, and really amazing people. Oh and I should not forget my husband's personal favorite, the fried Pork Tenderloin. If you've never had a fried pork tenderloin from the heart of Indiana, you are really missing out.

My husband does have to look for a new job. It certainly isn't something he wants to do and they are not going to be happy when he leaves but the circumstances make it impossible. He's done nothing and they've done nothing wrong. There just isn't a commitment on their part to do what needs to be done to get the work done and J. just won't turn in inferior plans. And there is more to it but I've said all I really should.

But, in the mean time, I'm glad we've decided to stay put. Once we knew he'd be looking for a new job we were faced with wondering if we should just move to a new state or look for something here or go back to WV. So, you can imagine we talked it to death!

Staying gives us a chance to slow down for a while. To not spend tons of money moving and setting up again. I want to savor the days with my family and to enjoy the oncoming lazy days of summer. We're motivated to get back out in our camper. We can't wait to put the pool back up, plant a garden and some flowers, and do a little exploring.

I'm starting a big push with our homeschool, too. Originally, I was going to just continue to school over the summer but I've decided we might want to take the summer off. However, thinking I was schooling over the summer means I've taken things a little slower than we should have. So, we're starting a big push to finish up what we need. I figure I have 3 months to cram it all in. Actually, it shoudn't be that hard. We'll do some things over the summer just for fun but I think we'd enjoy slowing our days down and taking a break. There is always much to learn when we're camping. We keep a nature notebook in the camper for bugs, birds, rocks and any other things we spot.

We have been very blessed here in Indiana. We've made friends, found a cozy home, done well financially and have really drawn closer as a family. There are still trials of living away from the rest of the clan. There are things that are hard to get used to here in Indiana. It's FLAT. My goodness do I miss a good hill now and then. However, in some ways it allows us to really simplify and slow down our lives. We've really grown as a family, as a unit.

I'm hoping from this point our days will ease, we will catch our breath, we will fall into a routine that doesn't include constant crisis. There will always be worries and concerns. Such is the nature of life. There is stress over my husband's job situation. I have Faith that it will work out for the best, though. Despite all that, there will be time for snuggles on the couch, games in the yard, drives through the country and evenings around the campfire.

My blinker <<<<(showing my WV; people in IN call it a signal) is on and I'm moving into the slow lane for a while. If I'm in your way, just go around me!

1 comment:

Evil Twin's Wife said...

It's nice to slow things down for a bit. I always enjoy the first few days of summer break - just lay low and then start the nearly daily pool visits, etc. :-)