Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fear factor...

So, I've been glued to the T.V., like most I would say. Wondering what is going to happen to the economy. Thinking selfishly what that will mean for me and mine. Understandable, I suppose.

My husband's company is rather on the small side with only 110 employees. He's part of a new division of the company that hasn't had time to yet turn a profit. He's one of the newest employees there.

So, you can see where I might worry. If the company has to make cuts, I see us being on the chopping block. No one told me being the wife of an engineer would be so stressful!

My fight or flight instincts are kicking in pretty hard right now. Of course, my real instinct is as it always is. Flight. I want to run. I want him to run. Find a larger company with more of a cushion and a backlog of work. RUN!!

But, that is what we always do. We've always ended up being right, I would like to point out. However, this time, I find that even though every instinct is screaming for me to push him to call a recruiter, I'm not going to do it. Not yet anyway. It will take time for all the chips to fall where they may. I'm inclined to just ride it out. We're HAPPY here.

I'm cozy and content in my little home. And if something does happen, we aren't tied down with a house right now so we could go where the next job is in a heartbeat. We home school, we rent, we have one car. We have some debt from the financial mess we were in last year. Ultimately, though, we have an awful lot of freedom. No school to withdraw from, no house to sell, no real health issues. Our parents are currently healthy and doing well.

I'd like to just stay here, though. My husband likes his job for what it's worth. I like living here. We are starting to Bloom, doing things we've never got around to doing before. Settling in. Our Driver's Licenses have our actual address on it!! Not one from 2 moves ago. Our son is blossoming here. He loves his big yard and his Church here. We're slowly getting more involved. Finding our way around. Learning about events and activities.

Most of all, I just want to turn it over and have Faith. I want them to push J. out the door of this company. Not make it easy on them. I think this is where we need to be right now. The panic is still there. Just under the surface it boils and looks to get a hold on me.

So, I've decided how to handle it. I'm turning off the news. Buh-bye. I'll check in on it once in a while. I'm turning off the candidates. I've decided where my vote is going. I'm tired of all the finger pointing. It makes my blood boil. They're both out of line and ridiculous.

Instead, I think I'll be a good little housewife. I'll encourage my husband, make my home comfortable and peaceful, cozy things up for winter, create a haven for us. A place where it is calm and loving. I'll pick up some more board games to play in front of the fire, extra cozy pjs to keep the heat turned way down. Maybe I'll bake some bread and make some cookies. Basically, I'll just find comfort the way women have for thousands of years. I know it sounds like I'm putting my head in the sand and acting like the "little lady." The truth is, I can do more good just by being supportive. I trust my husband to make the best decisions for himself and our family. We decided 8 years ago that I would give up my career (and I went more than willingly) and stay home. I'm doing exactly what I want to be doing with my life. And right now, at this moment in history, I can do the most good by taking care of those I love, and turning my focus on my family and my home.

The chips will fall where they may. We will weather any storms that come our way, we will pray for our country, those we love, and ourselves. And we will hold on to the thing that is most important to us. Each other.

2 comments:

Maren said...

I think I needed to read your post today. We are kind of in an opposite predictement. My husband has been with his Co for 10 years (also an engineer) but he feels like its time to move on. Our hearts pull us to another region of the US to be closer to family. The economy, however, scares me and being a housewife, I put my trust in God and in my husband. I know my husband will make a wise decision. I just have to (try to) enjoy the ride!

Tiffani said...

Yep, it's all very scary right now but I just have to tell myself that I know WHO is in control and I have to trust that....

Disney will be wonderful in December..I've been then, too! We also had free dining! It's a WONDERFUL experience!! It truly is our favorite place to visit!! I'll post soon our "top" lists and maybe they'll be helpful!