Monday, August 4, 2008

First Day of School...

We had our first official day of homeschooling today. I thought it went well. I had this huge day planned for us. Sort of a HOMESCHOOL EXTRAVAGANZA!!! But, then Sunday night I thought, "am I crazy?!" So, I pretty much scrapped the whole plan. We came in with bacon and pancakes (kid's choice), we went for a nature walk armed with our camera and notebook, did some review, an educational game, cozied up in bean bag chairs and read books, "played" a reading game on the computer, and talked about what we'd be doing this year.

It was a great first day back. Our first real day. Last year was kindergarten and there wasn't really much going on. This is First Grade. Real School. I'm not such a stickler for routine and I don't run a real tight ship. If we aren't at our desk by 8:00, I don't freak out. However, his education is very important to me. So I'm making sure I get everything covered. At the same time, if we follow a few rabbit trails, that's OK, too.

We walked out the back door this morning to look around the backyard and walked right into a Hawk eating his breakfast. I got a few pictures but he was pretty far away and my camera isn't the greatest. That is the first time we have seen one. Let alone on the ground eating. We found the remains of his breakfast. Ick. I left it there for J. to deal with. After all, he wants to be part of the learning experience, too.

No comments: