2 days ago
Sunday, April 19, 2009
My Boy
My boy is a wonderful mix of sweetness and mud. He's 7. His birthday is in October. He's is growing up so fast but yet he hasn't lost all the sweet that comes from being little. He still thinks I'm a princess Mommy. He believes his father rescued me by fighting a dragon with a sword. And then we kissed and got married. I love that.
He will spend 45 minutes weeding the front yard of dandelions and bring them to me by the handful because once, when he was little, I told him dandelions were my favorite flower so that he would quick picking my geraniums.
His Grandparent's spoil him mercilessly. Still at 7 he is so grateful for everything he gets. Look! New socks!!! Look, a Wii!!! I know that he doesn't realize how fortunate he is but at the same time, I like that he doesn't realize that there is any difference in a new Lego set and a Wii. Someday he will catch on that he has more than most and that there is a difference in a Hot Wheel Car and a Trampoline for Christmas. And when that does he will understand that he is blessed and he will be grateful.
I know he has a friend or two that come over just to play with his "stuff." They aren't really interested in my boy. He doesn't mind. I tell him he doesn't have to have them over or to let them always play everything they want. And he tells me it is OK because maybe they don't have toys like his and he likes to share. So, I hold out hope that he won't become completely spoiled.
He still holds my hand sometimes when we are walking.
He likes to snuggle on the couch.
He still gives me giant hugs that nearly make my head pop off because, wow, he is getting stronger!
I want to see that imaginary world in his head. I see WalMart and he is fighting a battle with the decepticons.
He loves animals. All animals. He has a dog named Boots and they are inseperable. She is his best friend. They go exploring in the backyard, she sleeps in his room, he uses her like a bean bag chair to watch TV. She likes it. He will spend hours building a blanket fort around her and she won't once get up and tear it down.
He can't stand to hear me sing "Twinkle Little Star" because I always used to sing it to put him to sleep when he was little. If I sing it to him now he starts to yawn. Then he runs away or plugs his ears. He can't fight the power.
He hides behind the couch every single day with a gun or a sword and attacks his Daddy when he walks through the door.
He laughs at my jokes. And even more importantly, he laughs at his Daddy's jokes. They are never funny.
It's Sunday morning. I got up to get things going and he crawled into bed with Daddy. Two brown heads barely peaking above the covers. In a while I'll hear the grunts and laughter that comes from Sunday Morning Wrestling. J. will limp out after a few minutes and declare N. is getting too big to jump on him and his back will never be the same. They will do it again next week.
He's still at an age where he'd rather be with us than with anyone. I am so thankful for that. I'm not ready to start letting go. I'm gearing up for us to have a fabulous summer of family time. More on that later but lots of camping, picnicking, hiking, and playing are in our future. We are going to be a lot more selfish with our family time this year. We have so little time left with our boy as a young'in.
I know that I will appreciate all the stages and ages of his life but this year I want to hold on to what is left of that little boy.
This time in our life is uncertain. We are not afraid. We can't stop living and loving on each other. We have faith that things will work out and we have a back up plan if they do not. We are focusing on our family and are going to enjoy our time together.
I say bring on the sunshine.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Aww - enjoy this time with him. Mine is still somewhat of a cuddler, but at 11, the sassiness has crept in. Although, I must say he is still appreciative of ANY gift, be it big or small. :-)
Post a Comment