Friday, November 14, 2008

The craziness...

I have a love affair with spiral notebooks. I have them everywhere for everything. I have, in front of me on the table right now, 5. One for Christmas, Disney vacation, menu planning, school planning, and grocery shopping.

I could probably combine everything into a 3-ring binder, but I won't. I love the little one subject notebooks. I love all the colors and I love drawing on the cover with my Sharpie. I can grab one and take it with me, rip out pages if I need to and I always have one in the car. J. and I do our best talking and planning in the car so I always keep one in which I can jot things down handy.

I buy them at the beginning of the school year when they're 5 cents or so. This year I bought 60. It's a sickness I tell you. There is nothing like cracking open a blank notebook. It's empty and full of promise. Waiting for plans to be made, doodles to fill the margins and for me to assign it a purpose.

I'm sitting here wondering if I should start a new one for Thanksgiving. We'll be doing some visiting, taking some things in with us and my son is going hunting with his grandfather. I need to make some lists. I just feel it might be kind of crazy to be sitting here with 6 notebooks in front of me. However, if I don't start a new one, where will I make those Thanksgiving lists?

Before I take this burden of crazy notebook obsession totally on my shoulders, I assure you, if you walk into my Mom's kitchen right now you will find at least 3 notebooks on her table. One for Thanksgiving, Christmas and a general one for her store lists.

I just really don't understand how people can function without a good list. And I really don't understand how people can MIX subjects. Now THAT would be crazy!

1 comment:

Tina said...

I buy lots of those too. I haven't bought 60 though.

I have one for Evan for every subject. We constantly had scraps of paper floating around for him to do his math figurin', but this year I gave him a notebook that matches his math book (both yellow!). It's so easy to keep up with and he always has a book with some paper in it that he can do problems on, or his homework (on the rare occasion that I give him math work to do at night).

He also has one for spelling lists and one for language arts where he diagrams sentences and stuff.

I use them for my budgeting, store lists, menu planning, and "creative" type writing. They are neat to have around. And totally worth the 5 cents!