Friday, October 24, 2008

Sleeping issues

My son is 7. He has been waking up 5 or more times a night for the past few weeks. I am wracking my brain trying to figure out what has gotten into him. He wakes up and comes in to get me up. Sometimes to go to the bathroom. Sometimes he just wants a hug. I have talked and talked to him about what is getting him up at night. He just says he doesn't know.

I've been understanding, comforting and sweet. I've gotten angry, hey I'm not at my best at 3:00 in the morning.

I am at a loss at what to do anymore. It's like having newborn in the house. I'm exhausted. I feel like drawing a line and telling him no more. If you get up you will be in big trouble. However, I am worried something is wrong or scaring him or hurting him and I don't want to be a big meanie. But, I want some sleep. He needs some sleep. He can't or won't tell me why he is waking up.

I have a feeling he just has an over active imagination and that his room is too much chaos for him. Too many shadows. I thought maybe I'd start by redoing his room to make it better. Move his bed away from the window in case it is the wind. It's just odd that nothing had bothered him until right now.

All I know is it better be a passing phase. We ALL need some uninterrupted sleep! Soon!

1 comment:

Tina said...

Hey! Sorry about N's sleep troubles. We have been through that too. Has it gotten any better?

When E was younger, we used to set one night a week when he would sleep with us. Then I told him he had to sleep good in his bed all week, to get to sleep with us. It stopped him from constantly asking to sleep in our bed because he knew what night he could get in bed with us.

If one night a week is too much, you could do one night every two weeks. If it is him just wanting to sleep with you, that might help solve the problem.

Of course, it could be sugar, caffeine, just normal changes in his sleep pattern. Evan sometimes has trouble if he doesn't get enough exercise during the day or watches too much TV at night. There's only about a million things that could be going on! Ha ha!

Let me know how it goes.