Monday, October 6, 2008

Homeschool, frugality, and Fall

I'm so happy to be getting back into our routine. We don't have a strict schedule but I do like to have a certain rhythm to my days. It makes things so much easier on me and on N. When he knows what to expect, it is always easier.

N. has a birthday this week. He'll be 7 which I can't believe. He's getting so grown up!

I'm feeling inspired by the chill in the air and the soft colors of early Fall that are showing themselves in our trees. The days are still a little warm for my taste but I really love the cool nights and the need for warmth in the morning.

I really want to add a DAILY nature walk to our school routine. We kind of do it haphazardly right now and I think we'd both benefit from the fresh air on a daily basis. Not that we don't get out, just that we don't do it with a purpose. It will be especially nice this time of year to watch the daily changes as the world prepares to go to sleep.

We went to the pumpkin patch over the weekend. I wish it had been cooler but actually it was a beautiful day. We took a hay ride, picked our pumpkins, played some old fashioned games and went through a corn maze. N. had a blast! It really helped me feel in the Fall spirit!

I want to carry that on through school. for the rest of the month before we start looking toward the holidays.

Also, *big sigh* I've realized we really need to tighten our belts and buckle down financially. We have spent far too much money lately. Too much eating out and running around. Sure, it's been fun but we are in a position that building up some savings would really benefit us. I know we've had a really tough year, personally, and to compensate we've spent more than we should. We haven't been careful.

The kicker is the December vacation. We just have to work around that one! I thought if I started getting my ducks in a row that when January rolls around we'll already have a lot of things in practice to help get the ball rolling.

And, my husband is waiting for the computer to work on the bills and budget. Ick. guess I'll let him have it!!

No comments: