Thursday, October 30, 2008

Beans and Macaroni




Well, I don't see anyone doing beans on the Souptacular so here we go. We tend to keep it simple around here. My Mom used to make this a lot. It came from my grandmother who was the wife of a Coal Miner with 5 kids to feed. It uses no meat but is very satisfying. It's definitely a budget stretcher!!!!

Ingredients:
1 bag of pinto beans
1 box of macaroni
salt
pepper
water
Other seasonings, whatever you like.

Top with onions and hot sauce if desired and serve with Corn Bread.

Rinse pinto beans. I never soak them and have never had a problem. Cover with water and simmer until beans are tender. Be sure to season well. You can not over salt this. Add macaroni and cook until macaroni is not quite done. You can then let this sit or simmer. The macaroni will soak up some bean juice and be really yummy.

Okay, it doesn't sound like much, but really, it is so good on a cold day and a wonderful budget stretcher! It's better than straight beans because the macaroni gives a nice satisfying bulk to the meal. I've added ham at times and other seasonings but mostly, I like the simple basic version.

I'm just getting into using my crock pot a little more often. Looking forward to some good recipes!

Head over to BooMama for more soup and crockpot ideas.

No comments: