Friday, January 30, 2009

Down Memory Lane- Our first trip to Disney






Back in September 2006, my little family took a fateful trip to Disney World. To tell you the truth, we weren't really that excited to go. Jamie and I had both had Mono that summer. On top of that, I had to have my gall bladder out 3 weeks before we left. We went to the beach in August and came home on that Saturday, I had surgery on Tuesday and we were camping at Watoga on Friday. 2 weeks later, we were leaving for Disney. To say I was less than excited would be an understatement.

We were so unprepared. As a matter of fact, Disney called us while we were at the beach. See, we were going during a Free Dining promotion and hadn't even made reservations. Anywhere. They called to tell us we should make reservations if we planned to eat. Well, they were a lot nicer than that, but still.

Fast forward to the trip. We'd built up some excitement and I was OK with not being allowed to lift anything more than 5 pounds. It kept me from lugging the luggage. I must admit I cheated a lot though. At one point I was carrying my 4 year old and I'm pretty sure he weighed more than 5 pounds.

We checked into All-Star Movies. Which we loved! Things started out well. We were all excited and ready to start our vacation. I had booked us the Hoop Dee Doo Revue for that first night. (rookie mistake number one...don't make an ADR for the night you get there) We rushed and tried to figure out the bus system and did finally make it to the show. It was great!

Our first day was in Magic Kingdom. Do I hear you seasoned veterans laughing at me? Whatever. We didn't know any better. We get there, well past rope drop (STOP laughing) and get the card thing figured out, pick up our stroller and stand in the middle of main street looking at the map and trying to figure out where to go. (seriously, stop laughing or I'll clock you)

We head for the castle. Now, this moment was wonderful. The Castle in all its real life glory is a sight to behold. We were enthralled. We may have teared up a little. 2 hours later all we had really done was wander in a circle. I was on a bench crying. My son was frustrated and impatient and my husband was getting a touch grumpy. Everyone else seemed to know where they were going and what they were doing and we were wandering aimlessly. Finally I said lets just get in line and ride SOMETHING. Anything. We parked the stroller and got on "It's a Small World."

Not only is it a small world but it is a magical one as well. N. was completely engaged by the ride. After "It's a Small World" we had a much better day. We were lucky because September is not very crowded and we were able to ride most of what we wanted. We weren't doing big rides. N. was only 4 and not really into that. But we spent a lot of time exploring Tom Sawyers Island and all the streets of the Magic Kingdom.

When we got to the hotel that first night, I sat down with my feet propped up (oh my aching feet) and went through the guidebooks and park hours. I made a bit of a plan to help us get through the week. Things went much better. We missed a LOT of stuff but we had a fabulous time. We went at N.'s pace which forced us to slow down and take it all in. There are so many little wonderful details to take in. We certainly didn't feel cheated.

My favorite memory of the trip was the day we went to MGM. We walked into MGM and headed for the tip board after picking up our stroller. We were getting much better at this stuff. So anyway, we check out the tip board and start heading into the park rather quickly. I told N. to ride instead of walk so we could make better time and make it to wherever we were going. I don't even remember. Well, J. is looking at the map and I'm pushing the stroller messing with the camera. No one is looking up but N. We keep hearing engine noises but not thinking about it. Next thing I know, my 4-year-old, jumps out of the moving stroller, hits the pavement and takes off at a dead run. Screaming! It's Lightening McQueen!!!!!!! Real. Live. Right. There. N is running for all he's worth. I'm tossing Jamie the camera quarterback style and telling him to run! I was laughing so hard by the time I caught up with them. We'd seen the other characters but he didn't really know much about Mickey, Chip & Dale etc. He liked them well enough but I had neglected his education in that department. But, oh my, Lightening McQueen was REAL. He was in the movies. One of N.'s favorite movies actually. And that is when I knew we were hooked. You can't get that kind of magic at the beach.

I think that if we'd have had one of those touring plans, we would have seen a lot more. But I really think we would have missed so much. That trip was all about discovering for us. We went at the pace of a 4-year-old. We rode the teacups 15 times. We didn't have anywhere we had to be. We missed a lot of big attractions. But I knew we'd be back. We were hooked.

It took us two years to get back. Two very long years. We went back with ADRs made at the 180 day mark and more of a plan and a spreadsheet or two. Two hours in, I tossed the spreadsheets. What I needed was more knowledge not more planning. I needed to know which fastpasses to grab first thing and I needed to make ADRs and to understand extra magic hours. To know when they were and if I wanted to use them. We still missed a lot but then, an hour in my husband said we were coming back next year.

If either of these trips were going to be my once in a lifetime or over *shudder* Spring Break, or in June, then yeah, I'd want a touring plan. It's not our style and I'm glad we get to go during times when going with the flow is doable. NOTHING will ever compare with that first trip. There were so many amazing moments. Most of the time, I'm glad we weren't prepared. Everything amazed us. And I'm sure I'll plan these future trips down to every detail. I'm also sure I'll toss the plan once we get there. Planning kills the time.

Nothing beats hearing my SO serious, over worked, over stressed engineer husband, whooping and laughing on Expedition Everest. Or having Mr. Practical waiting in line for 20 minutes to meet Darth Vader. And watching the face of my boy as he discovers something new at every turn is amazing. And for me? I get to be a girl. A little girl. I get to forget I'm just Mom. I get to ride rides, laugh, hug characters and PLAY with my family. I don't have to cook, clean or do laundry.

Magic Happens.

3 comments:

Tina said...

I hope they give you a free trip for that ringing endorsement! Sounds like fun!

We are working on a plan to go...hopefully this year!

Evil Twin's Wife said...

Awww. It's making me so excited for our trip in May. I'm a planner, but not a rabid one. I joined Tour Guide Mike and one other site. Everything is different now - no ADRs until 90 days in advance and May hours aren't even out yet (Disney is feeling the economic pinch too and letting several character meals go, etc).

A. said...

Oh Tina! You should go. So worth it. We are hopefully taking our third trip in September. I stay on top of things via disboards.com.

The past 4 years in a row they have offered a free dining promotion during September. It saves a TON of money.

I wish the would give me a free trip! Although, I did get a very coveted pin code for our December trip last year!