There are some days I really feel domestic. Days I feel that I am in touch with the women who came before me. That my hands reflect the work of my Grandmother. Days my house smells of home.
Today is one of those days. I've got a fire in the hearth. The smoke curls lazily from the chimney and makes its way past my window. I put a ham bone on to simmer to make broth for soup. I would normally have bought stock to save time but today felt like the "long way" would be worth it. My washer is working over time. The house smells of ham, woodsmoke, bleach and tide. I have a smudge of soot on my sleeve.
It's so cold outside. -4 with a windchill of -23. That is just so cold. I felt bad sending the husband out the door this morning. I'm trying to keep a fire going all day to just help keep the house warm. I look across the street and can see a couple more chimneys going. It's a good day for a fire. I'm thankful my pantry is well stocked today. It would be a miserable day to ask the husband to stop in at the store.
There are a lot of times I wish this house was bigger. I wish there was more room to put things away. Sometimes I feel overrun with stuff. My son's toys, just by the nature of what they are, can't be kept neat. Lego projects must be undisturbed. He's building a monster train layout with his old wooden Thomas track. All over the floor of the playroom. I want to tell him to pick it up. Oh, how I want to. But, what is the point of a neat playroom? Wouldn't I rather give him the space to be creative? Or would I rather have the floor neat and the stuff put away? So, I let it stay. It's not hurting anything. I just wish it was in an upstairs bonus room or in a basement. It's hard living in such a tight space sometimes.
However, I don't think there is much point in living in a house that looks like it is out of a magazine. I mean, what, so it can look nice and we can sit around staring at each other? Life happens in this little house. A lot of it. I guess as long as things are clean, the laundry is done and there is a hearty meal on the table, we're doing fine.
Life around here right now is about getting back to the basics. It's about seeing that we have to slow down. Doing the basics until we get them right. Stop letting them slide just to do something bigger and more fun.
I'm enjoying the stocked pantry, the crackling fire and time with my family at home. Basic is good.
2 days ago

2 comments:
I agree. The best days, IMO, are the days I only have to leave the house to pick our son up from school.
My favorite feeling is sitting in the living room with the fireplace going and cross-stitching while the guys are around me, either watching TV or playing.
Simple is best!
Oh, and if we could throw some food in there, that would be good too! :)
Post a Comment