Friday, February 20, 2009

junk in the drawers

I think I'll start spring cleaning next week. I've been looking for something to get me out of this late winter stanky funk. Even though I run a pretty clean house, I'm more of the "if you can't see it, it's put away" kind of cleaner. We have drawers and closets that I am really ashamed of. We have no less than 4 junk drawers in the kitchen.

I don't open the closet in the "office" without putting a hand in there first to catch whatever is going to fall on my head. It's kind of embarrassing. There is a lack of closet space in this house. I have never figured out why the master bedroom has a teeny tiny closet and my son's room has two closets twice the size. He needs the storage but that leaves the hubby and I sharing a tiny closet. I wear the same three things because everything else is just wedged in there.

So, I'm thinking maybe I'll start tackling that kind of stuff. It would make me feel like I accomplished something. It's going to be too cold to get out in the yard and dig or gather fallen branches. Plus, I just feel like I've let things slide lately. Everything feels like it could use a good wipe down and to be freshened up.

I may even see if I can con the hubs into helping me paint the living room. We've been here a year now and we've talked about it 100 times. It's faux/sponge painted a dark red with gold undertones. Are you appalled by that sentence? Trust me, it's worse than you imagine.

There's a linen closet in our bathroom. One shelf holds all the towels and such. The other two shelves are full of "products." I'm thinking I could probably weed that out.

We have a "snack" cupboard in the kitchen. I caught myself last night tossing in a bag of pretzels without opening the door all the way, then slamming it shut. I think an avalanche of snacks could possibly be a sign that it needs a little work.

I had a friend over yesterday and she kept saying, "you're house is so clean." I kind of felt bad because yeah, it is clean where you can see it but behind the closed doors things are in chaos. I guess that is true of most things in life. If the worst of my chaos is currently in the closets and cupboards, I guess I am doing OK.

2 comments:

Tina said...

Don't feel bad. My computer room, which is houses our homeschool books, is a DISASTER! It's the room where everything that doesn't have a permanent home gets tossed.

I gotta do something about it soon.

Evil Twin's Wife said...

My husband is former Air Force and is very uptight about organization, so he usually will deal with a cluttered cabinet before I do. The bad thing is, he squirrels things away and then doesn't remember where he puts them!