Thursday, December 4, 2008

A change of heart...

So, I spent last night thinking about what I wrote yesterday and I realized something. The truth is, I LIKE the stuff we have. And that the stuff itself isn't what makes me happy. However, all that stuff, brings my family together. A lot. We have times where we play the Wii together and laugh and give each other a hard time. We watch family movies on our big TV. J. and I snuggle up on the couch for "date night" and watch movies together. And the usefulness of the GPS is without question.

Yes, my boy will get way too much stuff for Christmas. But, he's a wonderful child. He's loving and thankful and so well behaved. A few extra gifts from people that love and miss him won't change that. And it brings them untold joy. My Aunt and Uncle lost their oldest son the year I got married. They absolutely adore Nicholas. They have a lot of hard times in their lives. Things I can't even begin to understand. If they want to buy my boy something extra special because "he's such a special kid." I will not deny that.

The truth is, we haven't been able to splurge on things for a long time. Not since we were first married. My husband has been totally spoiling me the last month or so. And you know what? I kind of like it. I think he likes doing it. He gives me a hard time about all the things I've gotten BEFORE Christmas even. He works hard and I think it makes him happy to be able to buy more than the basics once in a while. We've gotten little else but the basics for years. And for years we only bought for the house. It helps that I'm one of those women who is thrilled with new pots and pans and furniture. I like sparkly jewelry as much as the next girl, though. We've been eating out too much, too. Again though, for years we had to wait for my Mom to invite us out so we could afford to go. And if we're splurging a little bit right now, I don't think it's TOO much of a bad thing.

We know that things have to slow down after Christmas. We'll be snuggling down and hibernating for the winter after New Years. At least we'll have a house full of stuff to keep us occupied! I'll have about 1000 Disney Pictures to sort through.

And come spring, you'll find us in our camper, no TV or computer. Just us, some fishing poles and some sturdy walking shoes. And we'll find the balance.

1 comment:

Tina said...

I think you have the right attitude! It's okay to have stuff as long as the stuff doesn't have you, right?

Several things I need to know. I just emailed you about it, but I have to have the pepperoni roll recipe! Gotta! ASAP!!!! No pressure!

Also, what kind of cookware did your hubby get you? I'm going to use whatever gift cards I get this year to buy some and need suggestions!

And what happened to your Disney counter?